Many local governments manage landmark programs that identify historic places with local significance and offer protections to ensure long-term preservation. Applications for inclusion in the program are made to the local government or nonprofit entities, and alterations to the property are overseen by an appointed body, usually a historic preservation commission. In exchange for the ongoing preservation of the historic resource, local governments offer decreased property taxes for properties included in landmark programs.
Creedmoor, Wake County, North Carolina
The Robertson-O’Briant Farm played a vital role in the founding and growth of the Sandy Plain community. The original Federal-Greek Revival hall and parlor house typifies the modest homes of subsistence farmers in early Wake County. The large and fashionable Victorian addition reflects the area’s subsequent prosperity due to tobacco cultivation. The structure retains substantial integrity, and together with the contributing outbuildings, structures and sites, serves as an important example of a late nineteenth century farm in rural Wake County.
Robertson's Mill Site and Pond
Wendell, Wake County, North Carolina
The Robertson’s Mill Site & Dam, constructed in the 1820s, is significant as a focal point of economic activity in the Eagle Rock/Wendell community for nearly two centuries. Initially, activity centered around the mill. Later, as the mill fell out of use, the focal point became recreational activities in and around the mill pond created by the dam. In addition, the area in and around the surviving foundation of the mill is significant for its archeological potential to reveal information about early construction methods and operations of early mills.
Raleigh, Wake County, North Carolina
The Adams-Scott House was built c.1900 for Dallas Adams, the pharmacist at the nearby Dorothea Dix Hospital. Adams owned all the houses on the dirt road now known as Daladams Street, most of which have been lost. Walter Scott married Adams' widow and purchases a portion of his estate in 1920. The Tant family owned the house from the 1940s until the current owners purchased it in 2016. After a careful rehabilitation, the house remains significant as an intact example of folk Victorian architecture, with an elaborate entry door, delicate sawn porch brackets, and four-over-four wood sash windows.